Sunday, March 17, 2013

Leo Rex

What is your favorite movie? Why? These questions have become cultural and should be asked of friends, families and enemies. These queries are telling and oftentimes personal. Some prefer the classics, some prefer the profound, and others will just defuse the bomb by saying "I don't know" or that it depends on "how I feel". While these responses may be true, they are certainly guarded answers that offer little to no insight. I for one will answer and explain without being asked. My favorite movie is: The Lion King.


Now it sounds simplistic, idealistic, and perhaps childish to prefer a cartoon. What about "real" (live action) movies? Surely they can offer a hardier and more profound view of truth. I respond that I have yet to find one. But it is about lions, it is anthropomorphic, it is animated, it is fake. I see, however, in all its cartoon glory, incredible truths about life and death, love and hate, courage and cowardice all seasoned with the comedic and child like simplicity of a cartoon. I intend to show that The Lion King is not only a good story but, even further, is an epic in the traditional sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment